Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sneak a Snack: Yummy homemade teething popsicles!

Blip is a toothless kiddo. He has been showing signs of teething for months and regardless of the fact you can feel the ridge smack dab on the bottom gum that tooth just does not want to show itself! That does not stop him from already eating solids like a champ. As I mentioned before, we do baby led weaning and for the most part he eats table food.

If you would have stopped by my house today at lunch time you would have got the honor off seeing him bogeying down on steamed asparagus and tofu dipped in homemade hummus. He would be happy as a clam (why are clams so happy anyway) and covered from head to toe in hummus.  You would have also got to see the glorious sight that is me with my hair undone and a vintage apron covering up the fact that my dress was covered in yogurt from making yogurt pops. I do things a bit backward. I stain up my dress and then put the apron on to cover up the mess. Hmmm maybe I should rethink that.


Anyways, if you would have stayed awhile maybe you could have enjoyed a yogurt pop.

I started making these tiny Popsicle to relieve the teething pain. They proved to be a great way of letting him self feed himself yogurt and apple sauce so now they are a daily treat. I even enjoy them.

The basic recipe is to spoon yogurt into an ice cube tray and freeze. They make Popsicle molds that are fun if you wanted to use that. For the record we use organic Stonyfiled Yogurt. Our favorite is BaNilla (banana and vanilla), but we sometimes get Blueberry for a change of pace.

Feel free to have fun. In this batch I also make Applepops, which is frozen applesauce.I always get no sugar added applesauce and double check that the only ingredients are apples and water. A few I mixed blueberry yogurt and applesauce, and a few was just yogurt. I sometimes add mashed fruit aswelll.

I used to freeze with baby spoons sticking out so they had a handle, it worked out well.He is in a spoon strike now and wants to just eat with his hands so I leave them out now and  he enjoys holding the cube and eating it like that. You could of course do Popsicle sticks for an older kid or you!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...