Monday, November 8, 2010

Homemade Flour Tortillas





I really enjoy having all 3 of us in the kitchen. I know one day Blip will get much more out of it; but for now he enjoys watching everything we do, smelling all the food smells, and hearing us tell him what we are doing. Besides that cooking as a couple is great for your partnership! Even in our tiny kitchen Gus and I enjoy the calm and relaxing activity of helping each other whip up something tasty.

Usually he is my Sous chef and chops and dices for me.

Other times we really take our time and so every step together, it is romantic!

And lately he has even begun surprising me by heading up our cooking adventures as lead chef!

I guess I'm rubbing off on him because he is blossoming into a good cook! I may have to let him have a segment on his special french toast or pizza!




Today we decided to try our hand at fresh flour tortillas. I admit that I assumed they would be a much harder project. They ended up being a simple and fun activity. Blip sat in his Bumbo on the counter so he could see the action while Gus and I enjoyed measuring, kneading, and rolling out the flat dough disks. And you have to love the novelty of being covered in flour as you cook next to your two favorite pepole.

Ingredients:
3 cups unbleached flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp.  salt
4-6 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
warm water



Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Add vegetable shortening and knead and mix with your hands.

Next add warm water a little at a time until your dough is soft and not sticky. I used a
bout 1 1/4 Cup.


Knead the dough for a few minutes.

Use your dough to form 12 small balls.


  Let them rest for at least 10 minutes

Roll out the dough with
. a rolling pin. You want them thin. I'll be honest, I never got mine in perfect circles. I also dusted each ball with a little flour just before you roll them out.

Lay your tortilla on a hot pan. It takes just a few seconds to cook. Flip to the other
side. When they are done it should have lots of nice brown speckles. 


I used a glass dish with a lid, and added a clean towel inside to keep tortillas warm as I went. 

And then we made Vinson Burritos! Yum! 











No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...